Creative Pittsburg is a membership group with monthly public meetings to brainstorm ideas, and it’s building a volunteer force to actualize further programming. Creative Pittsburg’s website can be found at www.creativepittsburg.org. We currently have 10 regular volunteers, and hundreds more people who attend the meetings and follow our activities on the internet.
Art Trax is a free, family-friendly monthly art walk in Old Town Pittsburg with local businesses participating as temporary galleries for showing art. Art Trax solicits entries of artistic expression of all kinds through an online Call for Artists on the Creative Pittsburg website and Facebook pages, and personal solicitation through other arts organizations, schools and colleges in the Bay Area.
We are also working on producing the Diablo Fringe Festival, a county-wide performing arts festival, modeled after innovative performing arts “fringe” festivals that are being replicated globally. We have two cities on board, as well as the county arts agency and multiple arts organizations and individual artists.
And we have more in the works!
What’s up next:
- A mobile art van that can offer classes on site for schools, seniors, or the general community.
- A collective gallery/retail/networking/arts business-generator that offers locally-produced arts and crafts, provides art classes and instruction in the business of the arts and also serves as a Visitor Center for Pittsburg.
- Live-work space for artists in buildings that need rehabbing. There is substantial research we can provide showing that arts activities improve the quality of life in a community and attract high quality new residents and workers. National organizations can be approached that coordinate and assist in this type of effort.
- Partnering with the Arts and Culture Commission of Contra Costa County to apply for grant funding.
Expanding our website to include links to the other organizations’ websites and activities offered in Pittsburg.
- Online gallery listing offered to artists at no cost if they participate in Art Trax.
- An arts training day program for disabled adults through the East Bay Regional Center and in partnership with an established arts program here in the county. The contacts have already been made. The sticking point is a location for the program.
Among our volunteers are lawyers, social workers, teachers, school administrators, entertainers, artists, marketing experts and successful business owners, We have the motivation, interest, education, experience, background and training, and most importantly, the TIME to shepherd these ideas to fruition.